Flu season is in full swing, there have already been twice as many deaths and exponentially more outbreaks than we normally have this early in the year. It’s shaping up to be the worst in a decade. Across the nation over 12,000 cases have already been reported, and here in Oklahoma influenza is on the rise too.
Everyone seems to be coming down with something. While there is no cure for the common cold, there are effective precautionary measures your family can take. Notable New York City-based physician Dr. Keri Peterson says that one step people can take during cold & flu season is to “keep humidity levels in your home between 40 and 60 percent. This can help reduce the survival of flu viruses on surfaces and in the air.”
Buying a humidifier is perhaps the single greatest action you can take to insure wellness. Here’s why a humidifier can be so effective:
- Higher humidity levels have proven to kill off the virus. It’s more likely than not that the flu virus will enter your home in the next few months, but a good humidifier can help reduce the survival of flu viruses that may be in the air. Once you buy a humidifier it will need to be cleaned so look for a model with an opening large enough to allow for easy cleaning.
- Humidifiers help give you reprieve from coughing and congestion. Congestion is often caused by inflammation in the airways. Sinus inflammation and infections are often triggered by breathing too dry of air.
- Humidifiers help keep your throat and nasal passages hydrated. Comfortable humidity levels help keep throat and nasal passages hydrated, helping you breathe better. Plus if you happen to catch something from a coworker, keeping your nasal passages and your throat moist could help you heal faster, and should reduce symptoms like coughing and sneezing.
- Sleeping better. By keeping your throat and nasal passages hydrated, humidifiers can help provide an optimal sleep environment. A better night’s rest can help your body maintain peak health to fight off illness, as well as recover more quickly if you do get sick.
- Help break up mucus. This may sound like no big deal UNTIL you’re dealing with mucus. It’s the worst. The longer it stays, the more you cough, the more inflamed your airways become. Proper humidity puts a stop to this dreadful cycle.
Humidifiers are an indispensable addition to your home, in order to keep your family well-rested, and comfortable throughout cold and flu season. Make sure to change the water daily and clean them regularly to provide optimum levels of healthy moisture throughout your home. Call Norman Heating & Air, if you would like an opinion of what humidifier is the best fit for your home.